Government requests for Twitter information climb
San Francisco: Twitter on Thursday released a new transparency report showing a steady rise in government requests for information from the globally popular one-to-many messaging service.
The number of requests for information from governments climbed 46 percent from the second half of last year to 2,058, according to Twitter.
The report, the fifth from Twitter to date, was viewable online and showed what portion of those requests were granted.
The San Francisco-based firm said it received requests for account information from a total of 54 countries, but that the bulk of the demands came from the United States.
The US accounted for 1,257 of the requests for information, and Japan a distant second with 192 requests, according to Twitter.
Twitter lamented that, despite talks with the US Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, it remained barred from providing insights regarding requests in the form of national security letters that must be kept secret due to the law.
"We are weighing our legal options to provide more transparency to our users," Twitter said in the report.
"National security requests aside, our new report shows a steady increase in global requests for account information, content removal, and copyright takedowns."
Twitter received 432 requests from governments for `tweets` to be removed for reasons such as defamatory comments, and another 9,199 notices for posts to be taken down on copyright grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday