Govt not for internet censorship: Khurshid
New Delhi: Assuring that government does not plan to censor internet and social media, Law Minister Salman Khurshid today said adequate provisions are already in place and IT Ministry is also holding consultations with various stakeholders to address concerns on objectionable content.
Addressing a gathering of `Editors Guild of India` here, Khurshid said his colleague and IT Minister Kapil Sibal does not endorse the view of internet censorship in the country and stakeholders have shown willingness to discuss all issues, including how any "viral material" can be removed.
"I can share with you that Kabil Sibal has not endorsed internet censorship. He is already in consultation with the stakeholders. The consultation is going very well, but suddenly people reported that he was trying to put in censorship," he said.
Explaining the need to monitor and control objectionable material on the internet, Khurshid said the stakeholders have shown willingness to discuss all issues related to this.
"There is no problem with the internet. Stakeholders have been very very willing to work with us and find how any viral material can be removed. I think it is not an insurmountable problem," the Minister said.
On the issue of regulating social media websites, he said adequate provisions are available in this regard.
"There is already adequate provisions available in the law as far as social media is concerned," he said.
BJP leader and former Information and Broadcasting Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad while addressing the gathering highlighted the need for regulating the agencies monitoring the TRP ratings of news channels.
Alleging that TRP management is done in the "most fraudulent" manner, Prasad said "TRP must be accountable and it must run in a fair, reasonable and accountable manner duly backed by the law."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug