Govt serves ultimatum to Twitter to block offending webpages
New Delhi: Government has given an ultimatum to social networking site Twitter to block nearly 30 of its webpages which continue to host morphed and inflammatory contents or face punitive action.
The move comes after Union Home Secretary R K Singh asked the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEIT) to serve the ultimatum on Twitter as it failed to comply with the government order to block 28 webpages in its site.
Singh told DEIT to take appropriate action if the offending webpages are not blocked immediately by Twitter.
Government had already ordered blocking of 310 webpages where morphed and inflammatory contents were uploaded with the aim to incite Muslims in India leading to the mass exodus of people of the Northeastern region from places in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
- IAF choppers dump water to douse forest fires; Centre sends probe team to Uttarakhand
- ISIS publishes 'hitlist' of 70 US military personnel
- Over 81 percent polling in Bengal assembly polls phase five
- AIADMK government implemented several worker welfare schemes: Jayalalithaa
- Congress criticises Centre for not inquiring Vijay Mallya's transactions