Hacker puts up 1.5 mn Facebook profiles for sale
London: A hacker has reportedly put 1.5 million stolen Facebook accounts up for sale on the black market, according to a media report Wednesday.
Researchers at Internet security firm VeriSign iDefense Labs said a hacker called `kirllos` had put the login details on sale on Russian website Carder.su, thesun.co.uk reported.
Facebook has denied the reports saying `kirllos` was known for making wild claims, the report said. Facebook spokesman Barry Schnitt said the company had tried to buy details from `kirllos` during its own investigation but "the hacker was unable to produce anything for our buyer".
iDefense said the accounts had been offered at prices starting from USD 25 for 1,000 accounts for accounts with 10 or fewer friends, the report said.
Accounts with more than 10 friends were put on sale at the rate of USD 45 for 1,000 accounts.
The report quoted Rick Howard, director of iDefense, as saying that the case pointed to a boom in the illegal trading of social networking accounts from Eastern Europe to the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah