Hacker puts up 1.5 mn Facebook profiles for sale
London: A hacker has reportedly put 1.5 million stolen Facebook accounts up for sale on the black market, according to a media report Wednesday.
Researchers at Internet security firm VeriSign iDefense Labs said a hacker called `kirllos` had put the login details on sale on Russian website Carder.su, thesun.co.uk reported.
Facebook has denied the reports saying `kirllos` was known for making wild claims, the report said. Facebook spokesman Barry Schnitt said the company had tried to buy details from `kirllos` during its own investigation but "the hacker was unable to produce anything for our buyer".
iDefense said the accounts had been offered at prices starting from USD 25 for 1,000 accounts for accounts with 10 or fewer friends, the report said.
Accounts with more than 10 friends were put on sale at the rate of USD 45 for 1,000 accounts.
The report quoted Rick Howard, director of iDefense, as saying that the case pointed to a boom in the illegal trading of social networking accounts from Eastern Europe to the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why