Hacker turned FBI informant `Sabu` walks free
Zee Media Bureau
London: A convicted computer hacker Hector Xavier Monsegur, popularly known as Sabu, has walked free after he helped the US authorities foil hundreds of cyber attacks.
The FBI estimates that hacker turned informant Monsegur helped detect at least 300 separate hacks - including on Congress, Nasa and other sensitive targets - preventing millions of dollars in losses.
Monsegur was arrested in 2011 on hacking charges and was sentenced for 20 years imprisonment.
But now a New York court has sentenced him to seven months, which he has already served, and a year`s supervision after he agreed to co-operate with the authorities.
He was said to be the leader of a hacking group called LulzSec, known for several high-profile hacks including Sony Pictures Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company and the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS).
Authorities said that thanks to Monsegur, high profile attacks had been prevented and they were able to catch the biggest cyber-criminal target in the world, Jeremy Hammond.
However, the hacktivist community is reported to have reacted angrily to the sentencing.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part II
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part IV
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part III
- Not hosting Modi government event: Amitabh Bachchan
- Mercedes insist all cool after Spanish storm; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clear the air
- Foxconn factory goes 'techno'; replaces workers with 60,000 robots!
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM