Hackers can pluck private data from your brain
Washington: It is very easy to hack a human brain and pluck things such as bank details from the head using technology that costs only a few hundred dollars, scientists claim.
A team of researchers from the University of Oxford in Geneva and the University of California in Berkeley explained the process using an off-the-shelf Emotiv brain-computer interface that only cost a few hundred dollars.
Volunteers for the security experiment were asked to wear an Emotiv BCI head piece and sat in front of a computer screen that showed images of maps, banks and card PINS.
The researchers then tracked the P300 brain signal, which is given off when the brain registers meaningful stimuli.
The team found they could consistently reduce the random data in each variable by 15 to 40 per cent, a marked advantage over random guessing.
Subjects were essentially leaking valuable information through the BCI units, making it easier to calculate their address or bank account numbers.
"The simplicity of our experiments suggests the possibility of more sophisticated attacks," Discovery News quoted the team as saying in their paper.
"For example, an uninformed user could be easily engaged into `mindgames` that camouflage the interrogation of the user and make them more cooperative. Furthermore, with the ever increasing quality of devices, success rates of attacks will likely improve," they added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India