Hackers claim to have 12 mn Apple device IDs
Washington: A group of hackers has released a set of identification numbers of one million Apple devices and claimed to have obtained 12 million Apple device IDs by hacking into the laptop of an FBI agent, Xinhua reported.
In a message posted on Pastebin.com, hacker group AntiSec said it obtained a file with "a list of 12,367,232 Apple iOS devices, including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, name of devices, type of device, Apple Push Notification Service tokens, zipcodes, cellphone numbers, addresses, etc".
UDID is a sequence of 40 letters and numbers specific to Apple devices, that establish a unique identity in Apple`s app system.
Security experts said the leak of UDID on their own poses little danger to the device owners.
The hackers claimed they obtained the file by hacking into the laptop of FBI agent Christopher K. Stangl, a member of the FBI`s Cyber Action Team, Xinhua said.
The FBI told the Los Angeles Times that it was aware of the alleged hack but could not comment further. Apple made no comment on the issue.
Some experts doubted the hackers` claim of breaching the FBI, saying there are many ways that the file could have been obtained.
Graham Cluley, a researcher with security firm Sophos, said in a blog post that the person who wrote the Pastebin message may be a German speaker because of some German phrases used in the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing