Hackers post Apple data online after hacking FBI laptop
New York: A hacking group today said it has obtained a million identification numbers for Apple mobile devices after breaking into the laptop of an FBI agent, a claim which the federal probe agency said has "no evidence".
Anonymous affiliate - AntiSec - released a file on the internet which allegedly contained a million identification numbers for the Apple devices.
The group said they obtained the data by hacking into the computer of an FBI agent in March.
Responding to the claim, the federal agency said it is aware of reports alleging that an FBI laptop was compromised and private data regarding Apple unique device identifiers (UDIDs) was exposed.
UDIDs are 40-character strings of letters and numbers assigned to Apple devices.
"At this time, there is no evidence indicating that an FBI laptop was compromised or that the FBI either sought or obtained this data," the FBI said in a statement.
"At this time there is no evidence indicating that an FBI laptop was compromised or that the FBI either sought or obtained this data," the statement said.
AntiSec had posted copies of the file over the weekend and claimed it has a total of 12 million numbers for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch devices, as well as some phone numbers and personal data on their owners.
The group said the purpose of their hacking into the FBI agent`s laptop and releasing the data was to prove that the agency used device information to track people.
AntiSec said they had obtained the file from the computer of Christopher Stangl, a supervisory agent of the FBI`s Cyber Action Team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected