Hackers search engine `Shodan` named scariest on internet
Sydney: The `scariest search engine` on the Internet has been revealed for peering in the darkest corners of the web and finding servers, webcams and traffic lights.
Shodan, dubbed the `search engine for hackers`, collects information on 500 million devices every month.
According to a news website, the search engine was named after the villain in the cyberpunk role-playing games System Shock and System Shock 2.
Traffic lights, security cameras and home automation systems are all hooked up to the internet and easy for the `dark Google` to find.
One cyber security expert even used it to find a hockey rink that could be defrosted, traffic lights for an entire city, and the controls for a hydroelectric plant in France.
Rapid 7 chief security officer said that one can log into just about half of the Internet with a default password, adding which is a massive security failure."
Searching for `default password` on Shodan brings up numerous servers, system controls and printers that use `admin` as `1234` as username and password.
Independent security tester Dan Tentler, at a Defcon cybersecurity talk, said tens of thousands of webcams, hydrogen fuel cells used in military instillations, power meters, theatre lighting, heat pumps are all online, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick