HC summons trial court records on Yahoo`s plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court today allowed
internet portal Yahoo India`s plea for calling of the records
of the trial court which has summoned it for allegedly hosting
A bench of Justice Suresh Kait directed the registry to
produce the records of the trial court. The matter is listed
for hearing in the high court on March 1.
"Registry of this court is directed to produce the records
of the case in sealed cover," Justice Kait said.
Senior advocate Arvind Nigam, appearing for the website
said no prejudice would be caused to any party as the matter
is listed before the trial court on March 13.
Yahoo India has moved the high court challenging a lower
court order summoning it for allegedly hosting objectionable
content on its web pages. The high court, however, has refused
to stay the criminal proceedings against Yahoo India.
Yahoo India had said the complaint and the order of
the magistrate dealt with alleged objectionable material
retrieved from various websites including Zombie, Orkut,
Youtube, Facebook, Blogspot and none of them pertained to
The magisterial court had on December 23 issued summons
to 21 websites for allegedly committing offences of criminal
conspiracy, sale of obscene books and objects to young people.
The Centre had earlier filed a report before the lower
court saying, there was sufficient material to proceed against
the 21 websites for alleged offences of promoting enmity
between classes and causing prejudice to national integrity.
Out of the 21 websites, Google India and Facebook India
had also moved the high court against the magistrate`s order,
saying the summons be quashed as they did not commit any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof