How technology is fuelling new gen of peeping toms
New York: Peeping Toms have been invading women’s privacy since time began, but now the perverts have become even bolder by the advent of newer, cheaper and increasingly better technology.
The number of people being prosecuted in New York for videotaping or photographing up women’s skirts has steadily increased over the last 10 years, as smartphones have become more prevalent and the quality of the cameras inside them has improved, the New York Daily News reported.
Statewide, the number of cases of unlawful surveillance using cell phones cameras, pen cameras or other spy gear has nearly doubled from last year — and Manhattan has nearly 80 percent of the cases, roughly 70 so far this year.
Hardly an epidemic, but considering the fact that no one was arrested in Manhattan for the crime in 2002. There was one arrest the next year. In 2007, the same year the iPhone was introduced, there were 15 arrests, and the numbers have risen every year after that.
The majority of perverts never take their case to trial — 28 out of 33 defendants from 2010 pleaded guilty to the crime.
“Unlawful surveillance like the cases we’ve seen recently is a deplorable violation of victims’ privacy,” Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr said.
“Tiny cameras and easily concealed digital recorders have led to a significant increase in this crime,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery