Inappropriate pictures on Facebook could lose you
London: Facebook users beware! Having inappropriate pictures on your profile could cost you a job, a new research has found.
Researchers warned of increase in employers checking candidates lifestyle, attitudes and even appearance in photos loaded on Facebook profiles.
In one of the biggest ever studies of the importance of Facebook profiles among job hunters, American scientists found that employees increasingly use the social networking site to weed out unsuitable candidates, a newspaper reported.
"While employers are using Facebook to monitor their employees, they have also begun to use it as a screening tool when considering potential candidates," said Vanessa de la Llama of the Florida International University in North Miami.
However, the lack of guidelines means many firms simply follow their own judgement of just how bad your Facebook profile pictures are.
"Because this is a fairly new trend, a standardized set of guidelines has yet to be established, with employers often assessing job applicants in a subjective manner," said Llama, who led the research.
The research team interviewed representatives from the areas of information technology, healthcare and wellness, education, law enforcement, food and drink, travel, advertising and suggest that their findings shed light on a growing trend.
They hope to raise the ethical questions for debate surrounding whether or not employers should be using Facebook and other social networks to screen candidates.
"The question of whether employers are providing job candidates with equal opportunities if they are assessing on-line "image" prior to interviewing candidates must be raised," they said in the report.
"Of course, it is possible that one`s Facebook activity is a perfectly acceptable window on to one`s personality."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself