India calls for a democratic Internet governance structure
Geneva: India has called on countries for creating a democratic Internet governance structure to ensure a balance between private, commercial and public policy interests.
"The ability of the existing internet infrastructure to be used globally for delivering programmes for development requires a free and secure internet," Dilip Sinha, Permanent Representative of India to the United Nations Office at Geneva, said in a statement.
"Creating a democratic internet governance structure will ensure a balance between private, commercial and public policy interests and address developmental concerns," he said at the UN Committee on Science and Technology for Development (UNCSTD) open meeting on Enhanced Cooperation pertaining to the Internet on Friday.
India reiterated at the meeting that it believes in the freedom of Internet and free deliberations on public policy for Internet Governance.
"India is committed to tapping the tremendous potential of cyber space and the tremendous opportunity it provides and for creating a citizen-centric and business-centric environment to connect all human beings to the information highway," the statement said.
"India wishes to emphasise the need for global coordination to ensure that internet continues to be a free and secure medium for the whole world," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video