India fourth among nations sending out spam, malicious content
New Delhi: India ranked fourth in the list of countries sending out spam e-mails with malicious content like ads for pharma products and sexually explicit material, a Microsoft report has said.
The US topped the list of countries having sent maximum number of botnet spam during January-June 2013, followed by China, the UK and India, the survey said.
Cyber criminals distribute malicious software or malware that can turn a computer into a bot, also known as a zombie or robot, which makes the computer perform automated tasks over the Internet, without the PC owner`s knowledge.
"The countries and regions sending the most spam from botnets in H1 13 were the US (29,216 IP addresses sending spam), China (16,094), the UK (7,728) and India (5,779)," Microsoft said in its Security Intelligence Report.
Determining the originating place of botnet spam can help governments and industry response teams better understand the magnitude of security problems affecting different areas of the globe, it added.
India was also victim of a number of cybercrimes, ranking fifth in terms of malware encounters during January-June 2013.
"In India, the encounter rate increased slightly from 29.31 per cent in Q1 2013 to 29.44 per cent in Q2 2013. Autorun (encountered by 7.6 per cent of computers in India in 2Q13), Gamarue (4.7 per cent) and the virus family Win32/Sality (4.4 per cent) were among the most commonly encountered threats," it said.
Encounter rate refers to a percentage of computers running Microsoft real-time security products encountering malware during the said period.
The US topped this list too, followed by Brazil, Russia and Turkey. Other countries in the list included Mexico, Germany, France, China and the UK.
Worms were most prevalent form of attack in India, followed by trojans and viruses.
Microsoft, in a separate study last year, had said computer users will have to spend 1.5 billion hours and USD 22 billion identifying, repairing and recovering from the impact of malware.
Global enterprises are also estimated to have spend USD 114 billion to deal with the impact of malware-induced cyber attacks, it had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered