India in 58th position in world on e-readiness ranking: Govt
New Delhi: India hold the 58th position in the world on e-readiness ranking - an important measure of a digital society, Minister of State for Information Technology
Sachin Pilot informed the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
Replying to supplementaries during Question Hour, he said
e-readiness is the measure of the quality of country`s
information community technology (ICT) infrastructure and
ability of its consumers, businesses and Government to use ICT
for their benefit.
"As per the Economist Intelligence Unit`s e-readiness
ranking for the year 2009, India ranks 58 among the countries
of the world," he said.
IT sector provides direct employment to 2.5 million people
and has created eight million indirect jobs, he said.
The Government, he said, had launched National Knowledge
Network at an outlay of Rs 5,990 crore, to interconnect all
universities, libraries, laboratories, hospitals and
agricultural institutions to enable them to share data and
resources over high speed information network.
He said the Government plans to connect all village
panchayats through broadband internet connection in three
Under the National e-Governance Plan, the Department of
Information Technology was establishing common, shared
e-Infrastructure. Rs 1,623.20 crore has been approved for
State Data Centres (SDC) Schemes besides Rs 1,649 crore for
setting up 100,000 Common Services Centres.
"High mobile penetration (more than 550 million) and
increasing internet penetration in the country is providing a
conducive environment for moving towards a digital society,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`