India to have 243 million net users by June 2014, to overtake US
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Mumbai: India will soon overtake the US as the world’s second largest Internet users after China.
According to the report released by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB, the country will have 213 million users by December and 243 million by June next year, overtaking the Americans.
Currently, China with its 300 million users has largest Internet base in the world, followed by the US with 207 million web users. Till October 2013, India has 205 million users (including those who use internet at least once a month).
“There is every reason to believe that they will turn into active users in the near future,” says Nilotpal Chakravarti, associate vice-president, IAMAI.
According to IAMAI President Subho Ray, internet penetration in India, given its population, is still low. That’s the reason for the growth rate here to be much higher than that in the US.
India has 110 million mobile internet users (of which 25 million are in rural India) as of October 2013, and is expected to reach 130 million by December end.
Rural India has witnessed a 58 per cent year-on-year growth in the number of active internet users since June 2012. The rural base is estimated to reach 72 million by December from 68 million in October. The internet boom in the rural India is mainly motivated by the mobile phone as 70% of the users access the web via mobile phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway