India unblocks access to video, file-sharing sites
New Delhi: India has now allowed access to video and file-sharing sites, including The Pirate Bay, which were blocked earlier over the issue of Internet piracy.
The Madras High Court`s earlier ruling made Internet service providers (ISPs) block access to entire sites to prevent a single film from being shared online.
The new order was issued after an appeal filed by a consortium of ISPs, the BBC reports.
The order stated that only specific web addresses, URLs, carrying the pirated content should be blocked, but not the entire website.
“The order of interim injunction dated 25/04/2012 is hereby clarified that the interim injunction is granted only in respect of a particular URL where the infringing movie is kept and not in respect of the entire website,” the updated decision read.
“Further, the applicant is directed to inform about the particulars of URL where the interim movie is kept within 48 hours,” it added.
In late March, Chennai-based Copyrightlabs, an anti-piracy firm, won a court order that made Indian ISPs and phone firms stop their customers reaching websites that were illegally sharing copies of certain Bollywood films.
The ruling led to a series of cyber-attacks by the hacker group Anonymous, which targeted a number of Indian websites, including those for government departments and India`s Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened