Indian-American scientist develops world`s first 3-D model fingerprint
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: In a development that could assist the accuracy of fingerprint-matching technology, computer scientists led by an Indian-American, have built the first three dimensional (3-D) model of a human fingerprint.
Anil Jain, an alumnus of Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, and his colleagues from Michigan State University, developed a method which takes a two-dimensional image of a fingerprint and maps it to a 3-D finger surface.
The 3-D finger surface, complete with all the ridges and valleys that make up the human fingerprint, is made using a 3-D printer. It creates what Jain’s team called a fingerprint ‘phantom’.
Imaging phantoms are common in the world of medical imaging. For example, to make sure an MRI machine or a CT scanner is working properly, it needs to first image an object of known dimensions and material properties.
“In health care, a 3-D heart or kidney can be created. Because the dimensions are known, they can be put into a scanner and the imaging system can be calibrated,” Jain said.
In this case, the ultimate goal is to have a precise fingerprint model with known properties and features that can be used to calibrate existing technology used to match fingerprints.
“When I have this 3-D fingerprint phantom, I know its precise measurements,” said Jain.
“And because I know the true dimensions of the fingerprint features on this phantom, I can better evaluate fingerprint readers,” he said.
Researchers said while the 3-D model doesn’t yet have the exact texture or feel of a real finger, it could advance fingerprint sensing and matching technology.
Jain said that tools like this would help improve the overall accuracy of fingerprint-matching systems, which eventually leads to better security in applications ranging from law enforcement to mobile phone unlock.
The new development will not only improve fingerprint-matching system, but will also help in security application.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam