Indian cyber security expert appointed as Special Advisor to UN
New Delhi: Renowned aerospace and cyber security expert Vivek Lall has been appointed Special Advisor to United Nations to help steer the multi-nation body frame a policy and ensure its implementation in the area of broadband and associated cyber security issues.
Lall, who heads the Indo-US Strategic Dialogue and has formed the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce, is actively engaged in India-US dialogue in various fields including defence, aviation, aerospace and cyber security.
President of the General Assembly, John W Ashe, with whom Lall will be actively working for implementation of this policy, has conveyed his intention to convene a series of three high-level events and thematic debates of member states to put in place a roadmap to operationalise the whole concept of "The post-2015 Development agenda: Setting the Stage", a release said.
The objective of the United Nations is to quickly design, develop and deploy a?cyber security strategy that will identify the unique challenges within the global community and provide services that will help address them in an efficient and cost effective manner.
Ambassador Francis Lorenzo, who is also Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, has been a key driver for addressing the South-South cyber security challenges.
According to a 2011 Norton study, threats to cyberspace have increased dramatically in the past year afflicting 431 million adult victims globally -- or 14 adult victims every second and one million cyber crime victims every day.
Cyber crime involves trillion dollars a year in online fraud, identity theft, and lost intellectual property, affecting millions of people around the world, as well as countless businesses and the Governments of every nation.
For the first time at the UN level, a group of governmental experts was recently able to agree to an important set of recommendations on norms, rules, and principles of responsible behaviour by states in cyberspace, the release said.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative