Indian Government launches anti-ragging portal
New Delhi: Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal Thursday launched an anti-ragging website `www.antiragging.in` to help students of various universities, colleges and professional institutes to lodge online complaints against ragging or harassment and seek faster response.
The UGC-managed portal has been created by the Aman Satya Kachroo Trust in active collaboration with Rajendra Kachroo, father of Aman who was ragged to death by four of his seniors in a medical college in Himachal Pradesh in 2009.
"The Supreme Court gave order in 2009 that we should create an anti-ragging portal. Ragging is a crime which destroys a student`s confidence and even forces them to commit suicide," Sibal said after launching the portal.
Students can also register their complaint by dialling 18001805522 as part of the facility, which will be followed up in a structured software system. "The complaints would be examined. If they are of serious magnitude, they would be transferred immediately to the police, the magistrate and head of the institution," said UGC acting chairman Ved Prakash.
Meanwhile, Kachroo expressed confidence that the new portal will ensure a response to the complaints lodged by students within half an hour.
"We will respond to the complaints in half an hour. The college principals and authorities will be contacted immediately. If they are not reachable or do not respond appropriately, the local police will be contacted," Kachroo said.
"There are nearly 40,000 colleges across the country... we will create a database of all colleges," he said.
"The web portal is a medium of managing complaints, follow up of complaints and escalation of unresolved complaints to regulatory authorities, enhanced communication with colleges and universities, developing database, displaying status of complaints etc," said the HRD Ministry statement.
"All our communication, talks and discussions would be posted on the web so that the victim has complete access to what has happened since lodging the compliant," Kachroo said, whose trust - Aman Satya Kachroo Trust - will manage the 24X7 facility.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- BIZARRE: On this flight, passengers go nude at 30,000 feet altitude – Watch viral video
- PITIABLE PLIGHT OF INDIAN ATHLETES: Training with worn-out shoes, Rio-bound sprinter Dutee Chand pleads for new pair
- Toll in Kashmir unrest climbs to 47, curfew continues in five districts
- AAP MLA Naresh Yadav, booked in Malerkotla sacrilege incident, arrested by Punjab police
- Ahead of key confidence vote, Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli resigns as prime minister