Indian Government launches anti-ragging portal
New Delhi: Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal Thursday launched an anti-ragging website `www.antiragging.in` to help students of various universities, colleges and professional institutes to lodge online complaints against ragging or harassment and seek faster response.
The UGC-managed portal has been created by the Aman Satya Kachroo Trust in active collaboration with Rajendra Kachroo, father of Aman who was ragged to death by four of his seniors in a medical college in Himachal Pradesh in 2009.
"The Supreme Court gave order in 2009 that we should create an anti-ragging portal. Ragging is a crime which destroys a student`s confidence and even forces them to commit suicide," Sibal said after launching the portal.
Students can also register their complaint by dialling 18001805522 as part of the facility, which will be followed up in a structured software system. "The complaints would be examined. If they are of serious magnitude, they would be transferred immediately to the police, the magistrate and head of the institution," said UGC acting chairman Ved Prakash.
Meanwhile, Kachroo expressed confidence that the new portal will ensure a response to the complaints lodged by students within half an hour.
"We will respond to the complaints in half an hour. The college principals and authorities will be contacted immediately. If they are not reachable or do not respond appropriately, the local police will be contacted," Kachroo said.
"There are nearly 40,000 colleges across the country... we will create a database of all colleges," he said.
"The web portal is a medium of managing complaints, follow up of complaints and escalation of unresolved complaints to regulatory authorities, enhanced communication with colleges and universities, developing database, displaying status of complaints etc," said the HRD Ministry statement.
"All our communication, talks and discussions would be posted on the web so that the victim has complete access to what has happened since lodging the compliant," Kachroo said, whose trust - Aman Satya Kachroo Trust - will manage the 24X7 facility.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH