Indian student designs helmet made of cardboard
Washington: An Indian art student at the Royal College of Art has designed a bicycle helmet that is entirely made from cardboard.
The helmet is about 15 percent lighter than the standard ones, but it can absorb three times more impact from a collision.
Anirudha Surabhi, the designer, was inspired by the average woodpecker when he was considering the design of the helmet, Discovery New reported.
Woodpeckers are able to repeatedly strike hard wooden surfaces without injury because of their corrugated cartilage structure that separates beak from skull.
The helmet Kranium has a similar design structure and the paper board it’s made up of, called Dual Density Honey Comb Board, allows the helmet to flex and absorb impact.
On top of being eco-safe the helmet is also covered in a water repellant coating to keep out sweat and rain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1