India`s Net population is 73.9 million, 3rd largest in world
New Delhi: India with 73.9 million Net users is the world`s third largest Internet population, overtaking Japan but behind China and the US, according to research firm ComScore.
Rising number of mobile audience, devices and consumption habits reveal that consumers are becoming more platform agnostic in their digital media consumption and switch devices to stay up to date on email, news, social media, said ComScore`s India Digital Future in Focus 2013.
"Riding on a 31 per cent year-on-year increase, India`s online population grew to 73.9 million. With an extended online universe in excess of 145 million the market is at a tipping point for online businesses. India is the world`s third largest Internet population," the report said.
The country overtook Japan by adding 17.6 million users in 2012, the ComScore report said.
Of the total 644 million home and work Internet users in Asia-Pacific as of March 2013, China accounted for a lion`s share of 54 per cent followed by India (11.5 per cent), Japan (11.4 per cent), Southeast Asia (9.6 per cent) and rest of APAC (13.5 per cent).
On consumption, ComScore said that media fragmentation is occurring at light speed in today`s multi-platform environment, which features not only computers, but smartphones, tablets, gaming platforms and a ever-increasing number of emerging devices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America