`Innocence of Muslims` actress sues Google for contempt of court
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Actress Cindy Lee Garcia, featured in the anti-Islamic movie trailer `Innocence of Muslims` has reportedly filed a motion against Google for contempt of court.
The movie caught headlines after being circulated on YouTube in mid-2012 triggering riots in the Middle-East.
Garcia has filed the contempt motion against the Internet search giant for its alleged `near-total disregard` of an appeals court`s order asking it to take down copies of the video from YouTube.
According to PC World, the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit had earlier ruled in a split decision that Google should take down and prevent new uploads of the trailer.
However, it did not preclude the posting or display of any version that does not include Garcia`s performance.
Garcia has claimed she holds the copyright for her performance in the trailer of the movie.
In her latest filing, Garcia`s lawyer stated that a version of the trailer that includes her performance was still available on Google`s worldwide platform and also viewable in Egypt by tweaking the settings of the global platform to settings for a country.
The filing states that Google has violated the court`s order and continued to profit illegally from traffic to the infringing material on YouTube on several different channels.
The filing requests Google post a bond of up to $150,000 for each of the 852 links identified in Garcia’s initial takedown notice, about $128 million.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi