Internet ad revenue hits record $31B in US in 2011
New York: Revenue from Internet advertising in the US hit a record $31 billion last year, according to a study released Wednesday.
That`s up 22 percent from $26 billion in 2010, the previous record.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau, an industry group, conducted the quarterly study with PricewaterhouseCoopers.
About half of the ad revenue, $14.8 billion, came from the search category. Those are the text-based ads that are sold by Google and others and that are targeted to search terms and other keywords.
The fastest-growing category was mobile, with revenue of $1.6 billion in 2011, more than double the $600 million a year earlier. It`s still a small part of overall Internet advertising, however.
David Silverman, a partner with PricewaterhouseCoopers, said the growth in mobile should continue given its ability "to deliver timely, targeted, relevant and local advertisements in a manner that was not previously possible."
According to the study, retail advertisers were the largest spenders, accounting for 22 percent, or $7.1 billion, of the total last year.
Internet ad revenue in the final three months of 2011 totaled $9 billion, a 20 percent increase from the same period in 2010. That`s also a record, beating the $7.8 billion in the third quarter of 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Jacqueline Fernandez at the launch of two Aéropostale stores in Mumbai! Pic inside
- Sky is the limit for investments in India: Arun Jaitley
- Like seriously! Kanye West lying naked along with other 11 personalities in his 'Famous' video - Watch
- Why hot climate fuels aggression, violence
- Dinosaur-era bugs knew how to camouflage