Internet addiction is like drugs: Study
London: Addiction to the internet could cause damage to the brain similar to that by use of alcohol and drugs, a Chinese study has said.
According to scientists, the internet addiction disorder (IAD) is a recently recognised condition where individuals spend unhealthy amounts of time online, Sky News reported.
Researchers said internet disrupts nerve wiring in adolescent brains in a similar way to people exposed to cocaine and cannabis.
On being denied access to computers, people may experience distress and withdrawal symptoms including tremors, obsessive thoughts and involuntary typing movements of the fingers, the study said.
Earlier research on IAD have focused on psychological assessments rather than the impact on the human body.
The new study involved scans of the brains of 17 internet-addicted teenagers and 16 non-addicted individuals in China.
The scientists, led by Hao Lei from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, found in the IAD-diagnosed teenagers evidence of disruption to "white matter" nerve fibres connecting vital parts of the brain involved in emotions, decision making, and self-control.
Earlier studies have shown abnormal white matter structure in brains of people who were addicted to alcohol, cocaine and cannabis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof