Internet on the brink of catastrophe if `age-old` encryptions aren`t upgraded
Washington: The Internet may soon collapse resulting from a `cryptopalypse` if the age-old encryption methods are not upgraded to modern day requirements.
A team of four researchers at the Black Hat security conference said that the result of such a disaster would be `almost total failure of trust in the Internet` and to tackle this stronger cryptosystems that leverage more difficult mathematical problems are required.
According to Fox News, the researchers said that the age-old methods of encryption, the Diffie-Hellman and Rivest-Shamir-Adleman (RSA) shared encryption algorithms which were independently developed in the mid-1970s, are vulnerable to attacks.
The previous algorithms underlie many of the authentication and verification standards on the Internet including the secure HTTPS protocol, PGP, RSA keychain tokens and such certificates of authentication that software makers use to digitally `sign` applications and updates.
The researchers said that without secure shared encryption, online monetary transactions and Internet-delivered software updates would no longer be trustworthy.
They added that the private industry has been slow to upgrade to next-generation shared encryption algorithms like those based on the elliptic-curve cryptography (ECC) method developed in the 1980s and refined in the past decade.
The report said that the widespread adoption of the ECC is due to the fact that many private companies like Certicom, a subsidiary of Blackberry, are holding up its patent.
The researchers have urged Web browser makers to upgrade to the next Internet secure-communications suite, TLS 1.2, which includes patent-free ECC currently used by Apple and Google in their iOS and Android smartphones, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor