Internet subscriber base in India may reach 150 mn: Report
New Delhi: Driven by youth, Internet subscriber base in the country is expected to reach 150 million by the end of this year, says a report.
The report by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB said, "the number of claimed Internet users has seen a growth of 16 per cent over last year. This number is estimated to grow up to 150 million by December 2012."
There will be 105 million users in urban India while the rural areas will contribute 45 million subscribers, it added.
Claimed users are those who have used Internet at least once in their lifetime while active users have used Internet at least once in the last one month.
"As of June 2012, there are 137 million claimed Internet users in India (99 million from Urban India and 38 million from the rural parts of the country)," the report said.
Out of these 137 million claimed users, there are 111 million active users, it added.
The number of active users is growing at the rate of 19 per cent, faster than the claimed users.
"This indicates that the penetration of active users among the claimed ones will grow as Internet seeps more deeply into the lives of Indians," the report said.
It added that Internet usage in the country is still driven by the youth and mobile is coming up as a major avenue for Internet access and is redefining how the users stay online.
"Thanks to this trend, we see a huge spike in the frequency of Internet usage from a mere 28 per cent of the users in 2011 accessing Internet daily to 54 per cent users now," the report said.
Email and social networking are the most popular purposes of Internet access and are the main triggers for bringing people on this platform, it said.
"Continuing previous years` trends, school going kids, college students and young men continue to account for the maximum Internet users in the country with about 70 per cent of all active Internet users in urban India," the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way