Interpol, CBI to team up in fighting cyber crime
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would be collaborating with Interpol to fight telecom and cyber crimes, the heads of the two organisations said Friday.
Interpol Secretary General Ronald K. Noble and CBI director A.P. Singh in a joint press conference announced that the two bodies were working on establishing institutional mechanism for tackling telecom and cyber crimes.
"This will involve partnership between the CBI, research and academic bodies, private sector and Interpol," Singh said.
The CBI chief said that during Noble`s discussion with CBI officials, "we have broadly agreed that a CBI-Interpol Research and Innovation Centre for Prevention of Telecommunication Crime would be established in India".
The proposed centre would also invite participation of telecommunication crime investigators, researchers and experts from other Interpol member countries, he said.
Noble said that such type of collaboration was needed because the "problem is that most countries don`t have means" to analyse data and telecom devices that are increasing exponentially in numbers.
"This partnership would help bring to the table problems, solutions, best practices from all around the world," he said.
Singh said the initiative would make the CBI a global hub for research and innovation to effectively tackle telecom cyber crime.
He said the present procedure to get information and evidence with regard to IP addresses and subscribers details from different jurisdictions was cumbersome, wherein most of the countries insist on sending a formal Letter Rogatory under Mutual Legal Assistance Treaties.
"This often leads to loss of evidence. It was agreed that we need a mechanism, whereby IT (Information Technology) intermediaries across the globe can be linked to a single interface for law enforcement agencies. It was agreed that Interpol is the agency best equipped to execute this project," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media