Israeli start-up develops 30-second battery charger
Jerusalem: Using nanotechnology, an Israeli firm has created a new material inspired by nature that can charge smartphones within seconds.
The Israeli company StoreDot unveiled earlier this week a prototype for a new kind of battery based on amino acids and peptides, the basic building blocks of nature.
The idea to use these kind of natural chemical compounds started when one of the founders, professor Gil Rosenman, was researching a cure for Alzheimer at the Tel Aviv University 10 years ago, Xinhua reported.
"Professor Rosenman and his team were able to isolate specific amino acids that interfered in the brain`s electrical charge, so when we began working together, we saw that we could create nanocrystals from these amino acids, that could charge devices much faster that regular batteries," said Doron Myersdorf, CEO and cofounder of StoreDot.
These tiny conductive nanocrystals can charge the battery of a smartphone from zero to 100 percent in half-a-minute, providing up to two hours of battery.
"We`re working to improve the time to allow the user to have a full charge the whole day, not just two or three hours and we are also trying to shrink the size of the battery itself," Myersdorf said.
The size of the actual battery and charge is similar now to that of a laptop computer, but the firm believes that it will take only one year to bring it down to a regular size.
According to the firm, the secret of this super battery is not so much in the elements it uses, but rather the way they were manipulated.
The team is now focused on improving their prototype, but is planning to work on other related usages of these battery, like laptop computers and electric cars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state