Israeli start-up develops 30-second battery charger
Jerusalem: Using nanotechnology, an Israeli firm has created a new material inspired by nature that can charge smartphones within seconds.
The Israeli company StoreDot unveiled earlier this week a prototype for a new kind of battery based on amino acids and peptides, the basic building blocks of nature.
The idea to use these kind of natural chemical compounds started when one of the founders, professor Gil Rosenman, was researching a cure for Alzheimer at the Tel Aviv University 10 years ago, Xinhua reported.
"Professor Rosenman and his team were able to isolate specific amino acids that interfered in the brain`s electrical charge, so when we began working together, we saw that we could create nanocrystals from these amino acids, that could charge devices much faster that regular batteries," said Doron Myersdorf, CEO and cofounder of StoreDot.
These tiny conductive nanocrystals can charge the battery of a smartphone from zero to 100 percent in half-a-minute, providing up to two hours of battery.
"We`re working to improve the time to allow the user to have a full charge the whole day, not just two or three hours and we are also trying to shrink the size of the battery itself," Myersdorf said.
The size of the actual battery and charge is similar now to that of a laptop computer, but the firm believes that it will take only one year to bring it down to a regular size.
According to the firm, the secret of this super battery is not so much in the elements it uses, but rather the way they were manipulated.
The team is now focused on improving their prototype, but is planning to work on other related usages of these battery, like laptop computers and electric cars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?