Italian police investigate use of Skype for webcam blackmail
Washington: Italian police in Genoa are reportedly investigating into complaints by victims of blackmail who have alleged that perpetrators were using Skype to trap people into online sexual indiscretions and extort money from them.
The perpetrators have been luring people into indulging in sexual acts online and record their videos, using them to blackmail the unsuspecting victims.
According to PC World, the Genoa case involved four attractive young women who allegedly struck up online friendships using social media, and then enticed their victims into increasingly explicit sexual behavior to be recorded by webcam on Skype.
Alessandra Belardini, a deputy police chief with the postal and communications police, said that scammers seek to obtain the list of their victims` Facebook friends and then threaten to send the embarrassing videos to them unless they are paid.
The deputy police chief said that the scammers normally asked for 500 Euros from their victims.
Meanwhile, a total of 11 cases are being investigated by the Magistrates in the northwestern port city of Genoa.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know