Leonhard Euler honoured with Google doodle on 306th birth anniversary
New Delhi: Google on Monday honoured Swiss mathematician and physicist Leonhard Euler on his 306th birth anniversary with an animated doodle on its homepage.
One of the greatest mathematicians of all time, Leonhard Euler, born on April 15, 1707 in Basel, Switzerland, is credited with introducing much of the modern mathematical terminology and notation.
Euler area of work included geometry, infinitesimal calculus, trigonometry, algebra, and number theory, as well as continuum physics and lunar theory.
Euler is the only mathematician to have two numbers named after him - the Euler`s Number in calculus, e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828, and the Euler-Mascheroni Constant ? (gamma) sometimes referred to as just "Euler`s constant", approximately equal to 0.57721.
In 1727, Euler moved to Russia. He lost sight in his right eye in 1735 and after suffering a cataract in his left in 1766, he almost went totally blind. However, the condition did not affect his productivity, and with the aid of his scribes he produced on average one mathematical paper every week in the year 1775.
Leonhard Euler died on September 18, 1783 in St Petersburg, Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next