Leonhard Euler honoured with Google doodle on 306th birth anniversary
New Delhi: Google on Monday honoured Swiss mathematician and physicist Leonhard Euler on his 306th birth anniversary with an animated doodle on its homepage.
One of the greatest mathematicians of all time, Leonhard Euler, born on April 15, 1707 in Basel, Switzerland, is credited with introducing much of the modern mathematical terminology and notation.
Euler area of work included geometry, infinitesimal calculus, trigonometry, algebra, and number theory, as well as continuum physics and lunar theory.
Euler is the only mathematician to have two numbers named after him - the Euler`s Number in calculus, e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828, and the Euler-Mascheroni Constant ? (gamma) sometimes referred to as just "Euler`s constant", approximately equal to 0.57721.
In 1727, Euler moved to Russia. He lost sight in his right eye in 1735 and after suffering a cataract in his left in 1766, he almost went totally blind. However, the condition did not affect his productivity, and with the aid of his scribes he produced on average one mathematical paper every week in the year 1775.
Leonhard Euler died on September 18, 1783 in St Petersburg, Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state