Leonhard Euler honoured with Google doodle on 306th birth anniversary
New Delhi: Google on Monday honoured Swiss mathematician and physicist Leonhard Euler on his 306th birth anniversary with an animated doodle on its homepage.
One of the greatest mathematicians of all time, Leonhard Euler, born on April 15, 1707 in Basel, Switzerland, is credited with introducing much of the modern mathematical terminology and notation.
Euler area of work included geometry, infinitesimal calculus, trigonometry, algebra, and number theory, as well as continuum physics and lunar theory.
Euler is the only mathematician to have two numbers named after him - the Euler`s Number in calculus, e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828, and the Euler-Mascheroni Constant ? (gamma) sometimes referred to as just "Euler`s constant", approximately equal to 0.57721.
In 1727, Euler moved to Russia. He lost sight in his right eye in 1735 and after suffering a cataract in his left in 1766, he almost went totally blind. However, the condition did not affect his productivity, and with the aid of his scribes he produced on average one mathematical paper every week in the year 1775.
Leonhard Euler died on September 18, 1783 in St Petersburg, Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch