Little progress made in bridging digital gap: World Economic Forum
Geneva: World Economic Forum (WEF) in its latest report released Wednesday said little progress has been witnessed in bridging the digital gap across countries and regions.
Based on Networked Readiness Index, the Global Information Technology Report 2014 assessed the capacity of a record 148 countries and regions to leverage information and communications technologies (ICT) for their growths and well-beings, Xinhua reported.
The annual report showed a dominance of developed economies in the top rankings.
Finland topped the ranking, followed by Singapore, Sweden, the Netherlands, Norway and Switzerland, and all the top six places kept their positions unchanged from the last year.
The US moved two notches up to the seventh place compared to the last year, followed by China`s Hong Kong (8th), Britain (9th) and the Republic of Korea (10th).
The report found many emerging economies placed lower on the list, saying that they "continue to struggle to realise their full digital potential".
Among the BRICS countries, Russia took the lead and ranked the 50th, followed by China (62nd), Brazil (69th), South Africa (70th) and India (83rd).
The report suggested governments focus on developing the ICT infrastructure and meanwhile creating the right conditions for an effective use of ICT to boost innovation, competitiveness and higher social inclusion, in an effort to narrow the digital divide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers