`LOL` turns 25
London: The acronym LOL, which literally means laugh out loud, is now 25-years-old.
Linguist Ben Zimmer has established that the earliest citation of the acronym was used in the newsletter called Fidone in its May 1989 issue, which was way before the acronyms like ROFL, BTW and BRB came into use, Metro.co.uk reproted.
LOL has been a favourite instant messenger and text go-to abbreviation for a long time among the young generation.
Oxford dictionary accepted the expression officially in 2011 and made it a proper word.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed