London 2012 Archery: Google celebrates with doodle
New Delhi: As the London Olympics 2012 kicked off, Google also carried on with its tradition of themed doodle. Today`s doodle features the sport of archery and depicts a female archer aiming on a green field, reminiscent of the historic Lord`s cricket ground where the archery events of the Summer Games are being held.
On Friday, Google had celebrated the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics with their doodle depicting 5 athletes playing different Olympic sports.
The archery event debuted at the 1900 Summer Olympics, and was dropped later after the 1908 London Olympics. The event was re-introduced in the games at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
Google`s daily Olympic doodle tradition began with the 2000 Sydney Olympics and continued through the winter and summer Olympic. The tech giant is expected to release different doodles on each day of the summer games.
The archery events for the London Olympics began on Friday, before the opening ceremony and will continue till August 3. In all 128 competitors (64 men and 64 women) are participating in the archery events at London Olympics 2012. Each country`s contingent is limited to six athletes (three men and three women).
However, it was a disappointing start to the proceedings for India with the men`s archery team finishing at 12th in the ranking round held at the Lord`s Cricket Ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared