London 2012 Archery: Google celebrates with doodle
New Delhi: As the London Olympics 2012 kicked off, Google also carried on with its tradition of themed doodle. Today`s doodle features the sport of archery and depicts a female archer aiming on a green field, reminiscent of the historic Lord`s cricket ground where the archery events of the Summer Games are being held.
On Friday, Google had celebrated the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics with their doodle depicting 5 athletes playing different Olympic sports.
The archery event debuted at the 1900 Summer Olympics, and was dropped later after the 1908 London Olympics. The event was re-introduced in the games at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
Google`s daily Olympic doodle tradition began with the 2000 Sydney Olympics and continued through the winter and summer Olympic. The tech giant is expected to release different doodles on each day of the summer games.
The archery events for the London Olympics began on Friday, before the opening ceremony and will continue till August 3. In all 128 competitors (64 men and 64 women) are participating in the archery events at London Olympics 2012. Each country`s contingent is limited to six athletes (three men and three women).
However, it was a disappointing start to the proceedings for India with the men`s archery team finishing at 12th in the ranking round held at the Lord`s Cricket Ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing