London 2012 Archery: Google celebrates with doodle
New Delhi: As the London Olympics 2012 kicked off, Google also carried on with its tradition of themed doodle. Today`s doodle features the sport of archery and depicts a female archer aiming on a green field, reminiscent of the historic Lord`s cricket ground where the archery events of the Summer Games are being held.
On Friday, Google had celebrated the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics with their doodle depicting 5 athletes playing different Olympic sports.
The archery event debuted at the 1900 Summer Olympics, and was dropped later after the 1908 London Olympics. The event was re-introduced in the games at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
Google`s daily Olympic doodle tradition began with the 2000 Sydney Olympics and continued through the winter and summer Olympic. The tech giant is expected to release different doodles on each day of the summer games.
The archery events for the London Olympics began on Friday, before the opening ceremony and will continue till August 3. In all 128 competitors (64 men and 64 women) are participating in the archery events at London Olympics 2012. Each country`s contingent is limited to six athletes (three men and three women).
However, it was a disappointing start to the proceedings for India with the men`s archery team finishing at 12th in the ranking round held at the Lord`s Cricket Ground.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery