`LulzSec` hacked top networks worldwide, court told
London: In another case of cyber attacks, four British computer hackers or `hactivists` who call their organization LulzSec, launched cyber attacks on CIA and other global organizations as a result of which websites around the world crashed.
Ryan Ackroyd (26), Jake Davis (20), Mustafa Al-Bassam (18) and Ryan Cleary (21) who named their organization Lulzsec from `lol` the Internet slang for `laughs` and `sec` for security, allegedly stole huge amounts of sensitive data from News International, Sony, Nintendo and the FBI and other top networks and posted their information on its Lulzsec website and file sharing sites.
The stolen data included personal information like passwords and credit card details procured by penetrating the firewalls of some of the world`s leading organizations.
In a report by a news website, the hackers pleaded guilty to all the cyber crime related charges and claimed to have not been motivated by politics like another hacking group Anonymous but rather sought attention and national and international notoriety for their exceptional computer skills.
LulzSec`s motto which says `we are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us`, has a massive international following with over 3,55,000 Twitter followers.
The online security breach cost Sony a loss of 26.4 million customers` data while FBI and CIA websites crashed with an attack titled `Wipeout Wednesday`.
The reports added that Ackroyd pleaded guilty to a charge of faking a story about Rupert Murdoch committing suicide, Davis and Bassam pleaded guilty for charges of cyber attacks previously carried out on organizations including Serious Organized Crime Agency.
Cleary, who suffers from Asperger`s Syndrome, pleaded to charges of hacking the U.S air force computers and also to the charges of possessing indecent images related to child abuse.
These ` hactivists ` committed all these cyber crimes right from their bedroom computers for their own amusement and show off the computer skills conferred on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof