Mary Anning`s 215th Birthday: Google commemorates the fossil collector
Zee Media Bureau/Shruti Saxena
New Delhi: Internet giant Google on Wednesday honoured British fossil collector Mary Anning on her 215th birth anniversary.
Visitors on the homepage were treated with a doodle that features Anning searching for fossils, with the remains of animals making up the word Google finally.
Born on May 21st 1799, Anning contributed to fundamental changes that occurred during her lifetime in scientific thinking about prehistoric life and the history of the Earth. Her first discovery was a skull, when she was just twelve, along with her brother Joseph.
According to Wikipedia, the palaeontologist became known around the world for important finds she made in the Jurassic marine fossil beds at Lyme Regis in Dorset, where she lived.
Mary Anning died of breast cancer at the age of 47 in 1847. She was named one of the ten most influential women in the history of science. She has also had three species named in her honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say