McAfee hires elite hackers to break into devices
Boston: McAfee, a maker of software to protect companies from cyber attacks, has recruited an elite squad of hackers charged with figuring out ways to break into high-tech gear including heart pacemakers.
The team of five includes Barnaby Jack, a hacker who last year showed off techniques for getting ATMs to spit out cash at the annual Black Hat and Defcon hacking conferences in Las Vegas. The feat earned him applause from crowds of hackers.
McAfee`s new team is led by McAfee Senior Vice President Stuart McClure, who co-authored the book "Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions" and works on breaking into electronic devices in his spare time.
They are so-called "white hat" hackers who identify vulnerabilities in equipment such as medical devices, which have computer chips embedded in them that communicate with computers using wireless technology.
McClure declined to identify other members of the hacking squad.
"Let`s unearth some of these problems before the bad guys do," McClure said in an interview.
They plan to demonstrate how so-called embedded devices can be attacked in a series of presentations that start June 23. (http://bit.ly/lHYH3H).
White hat hackers generally work for boutique security firms that help companies secure everything from computer operating systems to electrical meters and medical equipment.
Large security firms like McAfee, the No. 2 maker of anti-virus software after Symantec Corp and a subsidiary of Intel Corp, typically do not offer such services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India