Men complain more on Twitter than women: Study
London: Women tweet more but men are bigger complainers on Twitter, according to a new study of the social networking site. Personal life, television programmes and work, are subjects that women talk most about on Twitter while men are likely to tweet about sport, gaming and news, The Telegraph reported.
Women tweet more - around 15 times a day - on average, compared with nine updates per day from men, according to the study of 1,000 British Twitter accounts by social media monitoring company Brandwatch.
When it comes to tweets related to brands, women are far more likely than men to be entering competitions, while men are much more likely than women to be complaining, the study found.
Women tweet more but men are bigger complainers on Twitter, according to a new study of the social networking site.
Men complain more on Twitter than women, says study
"Many studies have shown that men and women use more similar language online than offline, so we were surprised to see such clear differences in the results," said Edward Crook, an analyst at Brandwatch.
"140 characters encourages many of the non-standard features of spoken language, which could explain this divide," Cook said. "It is clear though that men and women are both discussing different topics on Twitter and using different language to do so," he said.
Overall, television and film was the most popular topic to tweet about, followed by sport, music and celebrities. The brands most likely to be mentioned on Twitter were food and drink related, followed by clothing and accessories brands and technology brands.
The food and drink tweets were dominated by women (73 per cent), as were the clothing and accessories tweets (89 per cent). Eighty per cent of technology related tweets came from men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice