Microchip that would make your PC work like human brain!
New York: Distressed at the slow speed of your personal computer? Here comes a microchip that would give your PC a speed that is 9,000 faster than an average one.
Modelled on the human brain, Neurogrid chip can simulate 1 million neurons and billions of synapses or brain connections.
That is a vast improvement over previous brain simulations but still only a fraction of the roughly 80 billion neurons in the human brain, researchers said.
“From a pure energy perspective, the brain is hard to match. Not only are personal computers slower, they take 40,000 times more power than the brain to run," said Kwabena Boahen, a bio-engineer at Stanford University whose brainchild the chip is.
Neurogrid has of 16 custom-designed Neurocore chips in a device the size of an iPad.
This can open up windows into understanding the human brain and developing new forms of computing patterned after brain circuits.
Now, the scientists are working to adapt Neurogrid for controlling prosthetic limbs for paralysed people.
The chip can translate brain signals into movements of the limb, without overheating the brain, media reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi