Microsoft asked to open up over privacy of data shared via Skype
London: Software giant Microsoft has been urged by campaigners to disclose details of the confidentiality of data shared over the Internet communications service Skype.
The signatories of a letter, which including the campaign group Reporters Without Borders, asked the firm to reveal what information is stored and to what extent governments try to access it.
The letter stressed the importance of Skype as a communication tool, saying that the 600 million people worldwide rely on it for voice, video and chat messaging, the Telegraph reports.
It said that many of these people rely on Skype for secure communication, "whether they are activists operating in countries governed by authoritarian regimes, journalists communicating with sensitive sources, or users who wish to talk privately in confidence with business associates, family, or friends."
These users, and those who advise them, the letter says, "face of persistently unclear and confusing statements about the confidentiality of Skype conversations, and in particular the access that governments and other third parties have to Skype user data and communications, the letter added
According to the paper, Microsoft, which took control of Skype in May 2011, released a statement, saying `it is reviewing the letter`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations