Microsoft launches `So.cl` network for students
New Delhi: American Multinational Corporation, Microsoft has launched its own social network So.cl (pronounced as ‘social’) specifically meant for students. The company however clarifies that the social network in no way competition to Facebook. The project is meant to complement Microsoft`s competitors.
According to Microsoft, the So.cl experimental research project combines social networking and search, which was launched around 4 moths ago in conjunction with the University of Washington, Syracuse University, and New York University. It was created by Microsoft`s Fuse labs, a “skunkworks” style development lab that is exploring how social information can change and enhance sharing on the web.
“We expect students to continue using products such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other existing social networks, as well as Bing, Google and other search tools,” an English daily quoted Microsoft as saying.
“We hope to encourage students to reimagine how our everyday communication and learning tools can be improved, by researching, learning and sharing in their everyday lives,” it added.
`So.cl` distinguishes itself as a hub of learning and education. The company says, the site is meant to make education easier for students by collaborating, sharing results of internet searches, photos, videos and stories they uncover.
However, the layout of `So.cl` resembles an amalgamation of existing social networks, taking cues from Google+, Facebook, Twitter and more. A “bookmarklet" function adds a "Share on So.cl" button to your web browser making it a cinch to collaborate and share searches with others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda