Microsoft launches `So.cl` network for students
New Delhi: American Multinational Corporation, Microsoft has launched its own social network So.cl (pronounced as ‘social’) specifically meant for students. The company however clarifies that the social network in no way competition to Facebook. The project is meant to complement Microsoft`s competitors.
According to Microsoft, the So.cl experimental research project combines social networking and search, which was launched around 4 moths ago in conjunction with the University of Washington, Syracuse University, and New York University. It was created by Microsoft`s Fuse labs, a “skunkworks” style development lab that is exploring how social information can change and enhance sharing on the web.
“We expect students to continue using products such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other existing social networks, as well as Bing, Google and other search tools,” an English daily quoted Microsoft as saying.
“We hope to encourage students to reimagine how our everyday communication and learning tools can be improved, by researching, learning and sharing in their everyday lives,” it added.
`So.cl` distinguishes itself as a hub of learning and education. The company says, the site is meant to make education easier for students by collaborating, sharing results of internet searches, photos, videos and stories they uncover.
However, the layout of `So.cl` resembles an amalgamation of existing social networks, taking cues from Google+, Facebook, Twitter and more. A “bookmarklet" function adds a "Share on So.cl" button to your web browser making it a cinch to collaborate and share searches with others.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living