MPs can now use iPads in house
New Delhi: Lok Sabha MPs would soon be able to use iPads in the house with a parliamentary panel clearing wi-fi connectivity in the lower house of parliament. The facility is already available in the Rajya Sabha.
According to Lok Sabha Secretary General T.K. Vishwanathan, the National Informatics Centre (NIC) has been asked to extend wi-fi facility to the lower house before the monsoon session, scheduled to begin in July. "We plan to install wi-fi at the earliest...we have asked the NIC to do the needful," Vishwanathan said.
The move will help the Lok Sabha secretariat pursue its paperless office plan, which aims to reduce paper use in printing a large number of reports and documents and instead make them available on the website.
The Lok Sabha secretariat had approached the joint parliamentary committee (JPC) on security last year after the Intelligence Bureau raised some objections to extending the facility to the lower house.
Incidentally, no such permission from the IB was required when the facility was made available to the upper house, said officials.
Informed sources said the JPC on security, which had been pursuing the matter for about a year, resolved it with the IB last month.
The wi-fi facility is expected to help over 300 of the 543 Lok Sabha MPs who have purchased iPads under a scheme in accessing routine information like notices, bulletins, list of business, questions and answers and other reports during the session.
Under the scheme, MPs are provided Rs.50,000 to buy an Apple iPad or Android-based Samsung Galaxy Tab.
The paper used for such communication can be saved if the MPs start checking out this information in a digital format using iPads, officials said.
Congress MP Deepa Dasmunsi said, "It is a good thing...wi-fi facility will help me get information quickly...we had asked for it in the lobby and the Central Hall area."
In order to persuade parliamentarians to use the iPads to access various documents supplied to them in hard copy, the Lok Sabha secretariat held a familiarisation workshop last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing