NBT to launch ebooks, enter digital publishing
New Delhi: National Book Trust is the latest to join the digital bandwagon with electronic books, a concept that is becoming increasingly popular among book lovers and publishers across the world.
The apex body, under Human Resource Development Ministry, which is engaged in book promotional activities in the country is all set to launch its very own Ebook store.
"We will launch the first ebook at the New Delhi World Book Fair here. It will be a book on Swami Vivekanda for young adults," M A Sikander, Director NBT said here today.
Union Minister M M Pallam Raju is scheduled to launch the ebook "Swami Vivekananda- The eternal inspiration for the youth" authored by Prof Sandipan Sen on February 17.
About 500 of titles by NBT would be made available in the electronic format and would be made available in English, Hindi and other Indian languages that can be downloaded through reading devices like Kindle, Ipad and other android devices.
The online facility for copyright applications as well as the logo for the copyright office of the HRD ministry will also be launched at the Book Fair.
"We have initiated the online filing of Copyright applications and it will be formally launched at the Book Fair. With this an applicant sitting anywhere can get status of his application," said G Raghevendran, Director, Book Promotion and Copyright Act.
"The Indian Copyright Act came into force in 1957 and there are copyright rules from 1958. As per international conventions there are no formulations for copyright, it just gives prima facie protection...," Raghvendran said.
"First it was done in physical registers now it will all be digital," he said.
Also set to launch at the New Delhi Book Fair is a website for the Intellectual Property Rights chair.
The HRD Ministry`s Department of Secondary and Higher Education under its financial assistance programme established several HRD Chairs on IPR in educational institutions to promote IPR education and research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown