Net gets a desi flavour with Web names in Indian languages
New Delhi: Imagine accessing Internet in your
mother tongue. It is possible now with the international body,
which manages domain names allowing use of seven Indian
languages in Web addresses.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
(ICANN), a global non-profit organisation, has taken the
decision to allow Web addresses in Hindi, Tamil, Urdu,
Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi and Telegu. The decision was taken
in Seoul, where a conference of ICANN was going on.
Till now, on the Web all domain names were available
only in Latin characters from "A to Z". Domain names --.com,
.net, .org, .in -- are used as identification labels.
Now, users can type Web addresses in Hindi, Tamil, Urdu,
Bengali, Gujarati, Punjabi and Telegu.
Govind, Senior Director, who was representing the
Department of Information Technology (DIT), said "this will be
a revolutionary move on the World Wide Web (www) that would
dignify the presence of Indian vernacular languages on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part VI
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part VII
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- Modi govt will be known for fulfilling promises: LK Advani
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns