`Netizens against their searches being tracked`
Houston: Majority of netizens disapproved of
search engines keeping track of their searches, regarding it
as an invasion of privacy, and also disliked targeted
advertising, a new study has claimed.
About two-thirds of search engine users disapprove of the
collection of information on their searches for the purpose of
personalising their future search results, says Pew Internet &
American Life Project, Search Engine Use study, 2012.
An equal proportion of all internet users disapprove of
being tracked for the purpose of getting targeted ads.
Around 73 per cent of search users disapproved a search
engine keeping track of their searches and using that
information to personalise future search results because they
felt it was an invasion of their privacy, the study said.
While 65 per cent of search users, according to the study,
disliked a search engine collecting information about their
searches and then using it to rank future search results,
because it may limit the information they get online.
Around 68 per cent said they were not in favour of
targeted advertising because they disapproved of their online
behaviour being tracked and analysed.
According to the study 91 per cent of search engine users
said they always or most of the times found information they
were seeking when they used search engines, while 86 per cent
of search engine users learned something new or important that
really helped them or increased their knowledge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi