Netizens flock to zero tracking site `DuckDuckGo`
London: The secret snooping program of the US government may have stirred doubts and fear amongst the internet users, but a search site with `zero tracking` feature has basked in the popularity.
According to the English news website, search site `DuckDuckGo` saw huge rise in traffic post the revelations by whistleblower Edward Snowden.
Within days of revelations, founder of the site, Gabriel Weinberg noticed that his site, which pledges not to track or store data about its users, was getting 50 percent more traffic than ever before and is going up with more revelations about NSA and GCHQ`s internet tapping.
The NSA has been alleged to have `direct access` to the servers of the web`s biggest search engines Google, Microsoft and Yahoo.
Weinberg said that the search data `is arguably the most personal data people are entering into anything`.
From serving 1.7m searches a day at the start of June, DuckDuckGo hit 3m within a fortnight.
Weinberg said that the decision to not store user data was not a political decision, but a personal one adding that storing search data reveals so much about the user.
On Google storing the data, Weinberg said that it is a myth that Google needs to store all the data about users, as almost all the money they make on search is based on what one types in the search box.
He further said that Google needs to track users for their other services, Gmail and YouTube because those are hard to monetise, and that`s why a user gets ads following around the internet all the time, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31