Networking sites abuzz after gang-rape victim`s death
New Delhi: Following the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim, people took to Facebook and Twitter to vent their ire, demanding punishment for the culprits and more security for women.
Criticising the authorities for doing little to protect women, Soumyadipta Singh from Orissa wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter: "Kanun mein badlav layenge, aisa karenge, waisa karenge..etc...kaha the aap baba log?" (We will bring in changes in the law, we will do this, we will do that... where were you till now?)
Puja Mohindra from Los Angeles called for another freedom struggle, but this time for women.
"In 1947, Indians fought for their freedom. In 2013, Indians must fight for women`s freedom," she tweeted.
Stressing on the need for stringent punishment for rapists, Srijith Balakrishnan from Kerala tweeted: "Now I think Cutting `Hands` for Change is better than Joining Hands for Change."
Fauzan Umar, a young professional from in Delhi posted on Facebook: "Behan hum sharminda hain, tumhare katil abhi zinda hain" (Sister, we are ashamed because your killers are still alive).
Sonia Raina mocked on Twitter the high security cover put around India Gate to foil mass protests, saying had the authorities been "so alert" earlier, the rape victim would have been alive today.
Bharat Punglia tweeted: "The ad of Incredible India should also add this fact -- A Nation where Daughters are neither safe inside WOMB nor in streets."
Vidushi Sathoo wrote on Twitter: "The girl hasn`t died. She`s moved to a better world where no rapes happen. RIP."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail