New Internet phenomenon Black Twitter growing in clout in virtual world
Washington: A new internet phenomenon called `BlackTwitter` is increasingly catching up on the virtual world as a way for people to unabashedly present their black spin on life in 140-character installments.
Although Black Twitter is pretty much about everything from President Barack Obama to the latest TV reality show antics, it can also turn activist quickly.
According to Fox News, catchy hashtags on social media are a hallmark and give clues that the tweeting is a Black Twitter thing and doesn`t necessarily stick out among the trending topics on Twitter, or have only black participants.
Tracy Clayton, a blogger and editor at Buzzfeed known on Twitter as @brokeymcpoverty, said that it is kind of like the black table in the lunchroom, where people with like interests and experiences, and ways of talking and communication, lump together and talk among themselves.
Another Twitter user explained that if someone is from a particularly marginalized community or one where others have spoken for them, but they have not had the agency to really speak for themselves, then it is necessary to take on that agency and that is what is seen happening in Black Twitter.
The report said that last year, twitter.html"> Black Twitter abruptly rose up to scuttle a book deal for a juror in the trial of Zimmerman, who was acquitted of murder in the death of black teenager Trayvon Martin and recently, through hashtags like #stopthefight, it protested a proposed celebrity boxing match supposedly between Zimmerman and rapper DMX, that was eventually called off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth