New sorting function for Gmail
Hamburg: Google is introducing a new sorting function for its e-mail service to help users gain mastery over the flood of information.
The Gmail inbox now offers a view that shows the most important messages first.
An algorithm evaluates specific properties, such as whether a user reads e-mails from a given sender and whether they respond to them. The mail can also be rated for importance manually using a new "Plus/Minus" button.
"This is an adaptive function," Google`s Stefan Keuchel said.
That means the "Priority Inbox" will learn over time and fine-tune itself. Messages that are rated as less important don`t disappear, but simply move back into the normal inbox. Users can also return to the classic view at any time.
Google is advertising the system as one that improves efficiency. A six-month internal test showed that users needed 6 percent less time to process their e-mail messages, Keuchel said.
He also provided assurances about privacy protection: information about which contacts are especially important are used by Google solely for the new function.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!