New technique can write your life history using twitter!
Washington: Twitter users, beware! Your tweets can reveal your life history!
Researchers have developed a new technique that studies your tweets to identify the most significant events you have experienced and assembles them into an accurate life history.
The algorithm developed by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and Cornell University in Ithaca can sort out news of important events from entirely trivial details from Twitter streams.
Researchers Jiwei Li and Claire Cardie can use the algorithm to generate an accurate chronology of a person`s life-changing events, without knowing anything about them.
Li and Cardie test their idea by mining the streams of 20 ordinary twitter users and 20 celebrities over a 21 month period from 2011 to 2013.
They then asked the ordinary users to create their own life history by manually identifying their most important tweets, according to `MIT Technology Review`.
For the celebrities, Li and Cardie used Wikipedia biographies and other sources of information to create `gold standard` life histories manually.
When they compared these gold standard life-histories against the ones generated by their algorithm, their method had accurately picked out many important life events that are also identified in the gold standards.
However, the technique only works with users who tweet regularly and with enough followers to allow the algorithm to spot the unique pattern of responses that identifies important tweets.
Still, that is a significant number of people and Lie and Cardie said their technique can be broadly applied.
"It can be extended to any individual, (eg friend, competitor or movie star), if only he or she has a twitter account," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department